YaCy as a Search Appliance:
Topic-Oriented Search and Search Engine for Projects
YaCy can operate as a single search appliance without networking with other peers. Such a search instance can be used for:
- Search for projects - a combination of wikis, forums and websites
- Topic-oriented search engine - combine a search for several web pages from different domains into a single search portal.
- Companies can host their own search engine in order to help guard company secrets (a company may give away secrets with the search words employees submit to a search portal).
- YaCy helps to preserve your anonymity when searching
Your own search portal!
If you run a YaCy peer, you have your own search engine. You can use it either to provide search functionality for your own search portal, or you can join a community of search engine peers to share your web index with the web index of other YaCy peer owners. If you search with YaCy your search requests are anonymous because they go to your computer and not to a central search portal server. No central server can log your searches.
Integration of a search window in your own web pages
YaCy provides simple code snippets to support the integration of YaCy search into your own web pages. There is also a search widget (pops up on your web pages if you like that) and demonstration snippets are provided by the YaCy administration interface. You only need to copy-paste the code into your pages.
Privacy and Security
- Your private search requests are never stored, monitored or evaluated for commercial purposes.
- If you are searching for terms related to product development and innovation, you can potentially give away information about your company activities. To maintain your business secrets, you need your own search engine (which can easily be created with YaCy).